Sunday, June 21, 2009

First Day of Summer

OK, so as you can see, I am not too great at keeping this blog up to date. I managed for the first year, but now that I am coming up on 1 ½ years here in Paris, it has been hard to get to it.
Today is Fète de la Musique, and the first day of summer. This is an annual event and perhaps I wrote about it last year. There are concerts and music all over the city, all day and evening. There are street musicians, bands in bars, and large organized concerts and every kind of music. The problem? There is too much to choose from! Coordinating with more than one or two other people is a nightmare. So, today I have tentative plans, which have already changed a couple of times in the last 12 hours, and I’ll just have to go with the flow. The only drag is that it is a Sunday and tomorrow is a workday. Last year, I managed to drag myself home at 4:30 am!
As I mentioned, it is just about 1 ½ years since I arrived here. My time is winding down; I am getting ready to leave Paris. I have such mixed feelings about it. It is simply too expensive to live here and I am tired of living like a poor student. Yet, when I walk across the Seine and look at the beautiful city, I wonder how I can stand to leave. Nevertheless, it is time. I will stay through the summer and take my leave in September.
Before I leave, I have a lot of things planned! I am taking only two weeks summer vacation (instead of the 4 weeks I took last year). Once again I will go with my niece to the south of France, but this time, to the area just above Spain on the Mediterranean coast. We’ll have a small condo in Argeles sur Mer, and from there, venture out to visit Spain, Collioure, Carcassonne and, of course, spend time at the beach. A teacher friend will join us for a few of the days. Once I return to Paris, I will be off to London for a few days to visit a friend who lives there. I plan to make a day trip to the little town where I was born, southwest of London. Then, back to Paris for the last three weeks of August. I have many day trips planned, as well, before I leave. I want to visit the cathedral in Amiens, see the seaside town of Deauville, walk through Monet's gardens at Giverney ... so many places that are very close to Paris.
This year, I will work through August and replace teachers who have gone on their vacations. August is supposed to be the “worst” time to visit Paris because stores and restaurants close and “everyone” leaves, except the tourists. It is true that by mid-July there is a noticeable difference in the métro and on the streets – lots less people! It is rather nice. So, I am looking forward to experiencing Paris with about a million less people.
As for my plans, I don’t know what they are right now. I am considering a move to Germany. The other alternative is to go back to Colorado and I don’t know that I am ready for that yet. I’ll have to keep you posted. By the way, I generally put pictures on Facebook now because it is so much easier. So, add me as a “friend” (you can search on nyoung3530@aol.com) . I’ve added photos from my last few trips – Kaiserslautern, Edinburgh, Bruges – with pics from Rome soon to go on. Next weekend I am going to Budapest, so I’ll post those in the upcoming weeks as well.
Bisous!

PS – just realized the last time I posted I was getting ready to move again. Update: I moved into the apartment in the 5th. It’s OK and the area is great. So, this has worked out well.

No comments: