Sunday, February 15, 2009

Here I Go Again . . .

It’s been very hard to get back to my blog. It is already the middle of February and this dreary winter weather just won’t go away. December was incredibly cold here and January wasn’t much better. When I arrived last year in January, it was much milder.

Yes, that’s right . . . last year. I have been in France for over a year now. I have lived in four different places during that time, counting the first month at the school. Next came the one month sublet when I moved into Paris, followed by seven months in a really awful apartment. In September, you may remember, I moved to a new apartment with a fellow teacher. It’s hard to believe that six months have passed and our lease is up in March. Because the apartment is so expensive, we are leaving. The last thing in the world I wanted to do was move again. Just looking for a place is so stressful, then, one must qualify, which is no easy feat here. But HURRAY!!!! I actually found a place yesterday.

I will be moving into a small, old apartment in my favorite “arrondissement,” or area, of Paris, the 5th. The fifth is where the Latin Quarter is located, although the apartment is not there, but a bit further out. It is a block away from Rue Mouffetard, a street and area famous for its shops, cafés and markets. I will be close to the river again and I will live much closer to my friend, May. I will share with a French man, who speaks some English, but I expect my French will finally improve! So, now I must prepare to move all of my things to the other side of Paris again. This time, I am NOT moving by bus and métro; I will rent a little utility truck and ask a friend to drive it. I do not have the courage to drive in Paris!

I’m heading home in a few days to spend a week in Colorado. I want to see Ryan on his birthday; I miss him terribly. Of course, I am looking forward to eating Mexican food (it is the only type of food I miss here). I’ll also visit with some friends and catch up a bit. It will be a short visit, but I’m looking forward to it.

Until next time, bisous (kisses) from Paris!

No comments: