Sunday, April 20, 2008

Exploring on a Sunday Afternoon

One of the things I love to do in Paris is explore areas I have never seen. I have a really cool box of 50 cards called "City Walks: Paris 50 Adventures on Foot." Today I pulled one out for Park Monceau. So off I went to see this small park tucked into the 17th arrondissement.

As I walked to the métro, about 1 1/2 blocks from my apartment, there was a really great sportscar. I walked all around it and saw the name across the back - Lamborghini. It was just beautiful. The reason I mention this is because, many hours later, as I made my way back to the apartment, I came across another fantastic sportscar. This one was about 3 blocks away in the opposite direction - a Ferrari.

OK - back to my exploring. When I arrived at the park, there were a bunch of tents/booths set up outside where antiques were being sold. There were tents with furniture, jewelry, silver and paintings. That is one of the things I love about Paris - the unexpected is around every corner! I spent some time sitting in the park, watching the kids and joggers and strollers. From there I followed the suggestions on the card and came to a Russian Orthodox Church. It was open to the public so I went it and was amazed at the beautiful artifacts. I left there and continued to walk and noticed I was pretty close to L'Arc de Triomphe. I headed up that way and walked down the Champs Élysées for a while. It is just too crowded there, especially on a Sunday afternoon. I hopped on the métro and headed for my side of the river. I got out a few stops beyond mine and then walked back past the École Militaire with the Eiffel Tower at the other end of the Champs de Mars. It is a sight that I never tire of seeing.

The afternoon was a vast improvement over the morning, when I spent a couple of hours in a laundromat! Have a great week . . .

No comments: