Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Most Exciting Thing . . .

Yesterday I got a library card! OK - so maybe that is not so exciting to most people, but everywhere I have ever lived, I have had a library card. I hadn't even considered it until my French teacher mentioned it. I had been buying used paperbacks, trading them back in for more (for a fraction of the cost) when I'd read them. Since I read an average of 3 books a week, it is an expensive habit. Now, too, I can try to read some French books.

Speaking of books, many years ago while in high school, I read a book called "Désirée" about a woman whose first love was Napoléon, and who eventually became the Queen of Sweden. On Sunday I visited a small museum, the Musée Marmottan, which houses some Impressionist paintings, which is why I went. To my delight, in one room was a beautiful portrait of Désirée Clary, the woman in the book. Small wonders, hmm?

No comments: