Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A Day in the Life

I am settling in now and have a bit of a routine. Work is going well and I now have 16 students in 10 classes. I am still having classes added to my schedule and can probably accommodate 4 classes a day, if they are in close proximity to each other. I have requested to have Fridays off so that day is cleared of any classes. I will likely still do lesson planning on Fridays, but at least I won’t have to travel to any companies.
I wanted Fridays off so that I can have a “cultural” day. I want to get in a French class so that I can start improving my language skills. I am using French every day, but not a lot. I spend most of my day speaking English with my students. My little group of friends from the course I took all speak English, as well. Even the French people I have met speak English! On the other hand, all of the information from my school is in French. Ordering and dealing with getting the internet has all been in French as are most of my dealings at the bank. Generally, I start out with French and only switch to English when the conversation gets too complicated. So, I will be trying to find a French class that meets on Fridays. I also plan to visit museums and exhibitions on Fridays. And I will definitely be taking some weekend trips. France has quite a few holidays – three major holidays coming up in May! Weekend trips to Spain or Portugal or Morocco or Croatia sound very tempting and are surprisingly affordable. Taking Fridays off means a little less money earned, but if this was all about money, I wouldn’t be teaching English for a language school in Paris!
Speaking of holidays, this is Easter weekend and we have Monday off. I am heading to Germany again, to visit with Lauren. I hope you all have a Happy Easter!
PS – I am getting used to the apartment. I guess it’s livable!

No comments: